Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Picking up stitches

I hate picking up stitches.

This week I've had both a great and awful experience with it.

On the socks I'm working on, best stitch-up-picking ever. For the gusset, along a garter stitch edge, I followed some advice I read on ravelry and picked up a stitch for every row and then did a row of k2togs. It looks great, and solved the problem of the giant gaping hole I usually get at the top corner of the gusset. See?



It's beautiful. I got a lot of this sock done while hanging out with the Singapore Knitters group of Ravelry; a lovely group of really friendly ladies who are quite skilled knitters.

On the sweater I'm working on though, the neckline is a disaster. Or more accurately was a disaster, because I ripped back. The problem, I think, is that I cast on way too loosely. Picking up one stitch per stitch on the cast-on part made it look like this:

Holey, gappy, uneven. Very unattractive. Still working on a fix for this problem.

I have been a bad blogger this week and not used the camera much. But here are a few photos I remembered to take. I wandered around Chinatown with a coworker a bit on Monday, since it was a public holiday (Hari Raya, celebrating the end of Ramadan).

a Chinese temple - I like the contrast between it and the shiny new building in the background.

some shops in Chinatown, with a giant temple on the left, and a Hindu temple:

No comments:

Post a Comment