Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Neckline

What little I have been knitting lately is mostly boring. But, I haven't shown the sweater in a while, so here it is:
(grey sweater+lavender bedspread+flourescent lighting = crappy photo. Sorry.) I decided to go with short sleeves, because I live practically on the equator and even if the A/C is blasting, it's crazy to have a long sleeved wool sweater in Singapore. The sleeve on the left has been in that almost-done state for like five days now. How lame is that. But, sometimes there are things more important than knitting. Such as making friends and socializing when one is alone, 12 time zones away from home.

Anyway, I am happy that at least the neckline is done. It gave me such a headache, and I am still not sure that I found the best solution. But, here is what I did.

First of all, I cast on waayy too loosely, so when I picked up the stitches at a rate of one new stitch per cast-on stitch, it looked totally wonky. I ripped, tried a few things, and in the end I picked up 2 new stitches per old stitch on the cast-on section of the neckline and one new stitch per row in places where I was picking up along the side of the knitting.

Then I did a row of k2togs. I should not have done all k2togs, because it puckers a little at the shoulders, but I am willing to deal with that.

Also the way I picked up the extra stitches is making the neckline bend wildly... I am hoping against hope that blocking can help this out. But at least the part of the neckline in the Cleavage Zone isn't too bad, don't want to give people an excuse to stare there!

My goal is to have this sweater done by next Wednesday, so I can wear it in the arctic blast room where my weekly seminar at work is held.

Well, I wouldn't want to leave without showing a couple pictures of Singapore. I haven't whipped the camera out very much lately, but I did go to the Esplanade to see Afro-Cuban All Stars last weekend. Here's the view from outside:
You can see the Merlion in the foreground. The Esplanade building itself is really cool, I didn't get a good shot of the whole building, but the surface of the roof is neat. You can see why many people call the building the Durian:
I'll be going back to the Esplanade for a SSO concert tomorrow. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment