Friday, March 25, 2011

Weather.


Seriously, I thought it would be spring around here by now. We had a few nice days in Cincinnati but snow is in the forecast for tomorrow. The only proof that the grey cool days will end are the daffodils which started popping up. I plucked one of the first blooms from my mom's front yard to bring some hope inside.

Anyway, as for knitting I have finished a couple things lately.

First up is a hat. I knit it in a bamboo/wool blend yarn, and it came out way better than I expected. Orginally it was a bit longer but somehow this hat made its way into the washing machine and well, let's call it a beanie now shall we?
Pattern: Anna Karenina
Yarn: Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo DK
My project page
The pattern is called Anna Karenina, but I can think of a few things the stitch reminds me of more.

Like the Eiffel tower, or those stacking baby toys inspired by the Tower of Hanoi problem. But my personal experiences led me to think of this stitch as a chedi/stupa. Specifically the one I saw at Wat Phra Keow in Bangkok.
In the Wat Phra Keow, Temple of the Emerald Buddha, Bangkok, Thailand
Anyway, this hat has been a real hit - it's been rotating among my sisters and I since I got home. Yes, we are all in our 20s and yes, we still "borrow" clothes from each other, except for the skinny one who just steals everyone else's accesories hehehe.

I'm going to knit another one (and keep it out of the washing machine), I'm deciding whether to make do with some stash or wait a while and buy a similar yarn. You know, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I also finished a lacy scarf, knit from Rio de la Plata sock yarn.  Apparently this company is out of business now?  Anyway, blocking softened the yarn a bit.  I think the scarf looks ok, but I think marled yarns aren't my thing, I'll try to remember not to buy any more.

Pattern: Adia by Nora Gaughan
Yarn: Rio de la Plata Sock Multisolid
My project page
I love this pattern, it's easy, fun to knit, and free!  This is the second Aida scarf I've knit.  The first one was alpaca and knit at a looser gauge - I think I liked it better but I gifted it so this one will do.
I'm working on my WIPs here and there, but for the most part all my knitting time is devoted to a kid-size blanket requested by my mom.  It deserves a post of its own but here's my swatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment