Thursday, November 18, 2010

Before I talk about my knitting I wanted to share this video I came across today of a dress knit from fluid-filled tubing:


Fluid Dress from Charlie Bucket on Vimeo.

When I first looked at the video I didn't think it was really knit, but I guess that's what it would look like if you knit stockinette with all the stitches twisted?  The artist made what looks like a big knitting loom to construct it.  Pretty cool.

Secret holiday knitting continues, but I am excited that I may actually finish most if not all of the gifts I have planned!  I think I can get at least three pair of mittens for my family done (for the guys this year, I'll do the girls next year maybe).  Here is the first pair:

 This is pattern 1 from Charlene Schurch's book Mostly Mittens, large size.  The yarn is knitpicks Palette.
 A weird thing is that the mittens shrank vertically with blocking, though I don't really see signs of felting.  Below, the left mitten is fresh off the needles.  Anyway, in this case it was good, because they were freakishly long before a bath.
 Practice really does make a difference when it comes to fair isle knitting style... I am very proud of how nice and even the floats are.  My previous attempts at colorwork should never be seen inside out hehehe.
Yesterday was a holiday (Hari Raya Haji, a Muslim holiday) but I didn't do any knitting, I had to go shopping instead for something to wear to a wedding.  What a waste of time! Even at home, where there's plenty of stuff my size, I have trouble finding things that actually fit properly, it's just hopeless here when perhaps 9 out of 10 stores don't even have carry sizes big enough for me.  I broke down and spent $70 for a shirt from a european (?) brand store, but I wasn't happy about it.  How much yarn would that be?!

No comments:

Post a Comment